Our client, Merchants Insurance Group, a leading Property and Casualty Insurer in the Northeast, is looking for an experienced Assistant Controller for their General Accounting team. Merchants Insurance Group is proud to be named a “Fast Track” company for the year in a row by Buffalo’s Business First and has recently been named as one of Ward’s top performing insurance companies in the United States. Ward’s is the provider of benchmarking and best practices for the insurance industry
The safety of their colleagues, both current and future, is Merchants Insurance Group’s highest priority. At this time, their colleagues are working a Hybrid work schedule. The Hybrid work schedule requires 8 full days per month in the office, with the option to work the remaining days per month at home or in the office. This exciting new Hybrid Work benefit will offer colleagues a flexible work schedule with the ability to remain connected with your Merchants team and colleagues.
The Assistant Controller will become part of a dedicated General Accounting management team focusing on the financial reporting, monthly close, statutory reporting processes and the leadership and mentoring of General Accounting direct reports.
• Oversee monthly close process ensuring all required processes are completed timely; from journal entries to initial financial statement draft. Prepare or review account reconciliations in areas of responsibility.
• Responsible for the completion and first level of review of the quarterly and annual statements and related supplements.
• Preparation of companies’ federal and state income tax returns including premium tax returns and remitting estimated tax payments. Monthly calculation of the current and deferred tax provisions.
• Oversee the abandoned property reporting process.
• Serve as a liaison and systems team member with the IT department to resolve hotlines and to test and implement projects.
• Manage all staff reporting to the position.
• Qualified candidates will have a 4-year degree in accounting or finance.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation is required.
• 5 plus years accounting experience.
• Solid understanding of Accounting Principles.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office to include Excel and Word.
• General Ledger experience is preferred.
• Prior experience with statutory accounting principles preferred.
• Previous supervisory or management experience preferred.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Welcoming and positive work environment
• Flexible work arrangements, including flex scheduling and summer hours
• Hybrid work schedule. The Hybrid work schedule will require 8 full days per month in the office, with the option to work the remaining days per month at home or in the office
• Competitive pay scale
• Generous paid time off package
• Full Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, 401(k) employer match amount is 100% up to 6% of your annual contributions. You are immediately 100% vested in the employer match dollars
• Outstanding company bonus program
• Tuition Reimbursement
Qualified candidates may email their resumes and cover letters to MaryEllen Carlo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com